Sunday 31 May 2009

A creative space


That's definitely what my desk is, a creative space, not a mess, honest!

I've been working in the shed for a couple of relaxing hours this evening, working on a couple of new designs and a magazine article. I've been working on about 6 designs at the same time as they all need hammering at some stage during their creation and I don't like to hammer after about 8pm unless there's something like heavy rain, a thunderstorm or fireworks to hide the noise. We get on well with our neighbours, and I'd like to keep it that way! So, amid what looks like chaos there are starts of designs laid out on my desk ready for me tomorrow. B's childminder is on holiday this week so I've only got a couple of evenings, B's two preschool sessions and any couple of minutes I can steal during the day to craft in this week. I've done all the soldering and non-B friendly work needed for all the projects on my desk, so I'm hoping that I can do a little work here and there tomorrow while B is playing in the garden. I'll let you know how I get on!

I hope you've been enjoying the sunshine today - assuming that you're in the UK that is, although I do hope that the sun has been shining where you international readers are too! I've been trying not to say this as it seems such a stereotypically British thing to say, but I can't believe how amazing the weather has been this spring. Yes, I know that we've had some very rainy days, but on the whole we have had so much gorgeous sunshine! Again, international readers (and google analytics tell me that you are out there!), you have to understand that usually this time of year is mainly rainy or grey (or both) and certainly not as consistently hot as it has been this past month or so. Usually our summer lasts about, oh, 5 minutes, so this truly is amazing! Mind you, the last time I wrote as much as this about the weather it was snowing, pipes were bursting and my pickle pot was freezing - have a look at the proof from earlier this year! The environmental science graduate in me is worried about the extremes in weather that usually temperate country is having, but the rest of me is reminding myself that this is more like the weather we had when I was a child in the 1970s/early 1980s, and that we should enjoy it. I guess I should hedge my bets, do what I can for the environment and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

Anyway, getting back on topic because I hadn't planned on writing all that when I decided to write this post! We went to a BBQ today that was part reunion for T's work colleagues as they have been split up into different teams across the city and part fundraiser in memory of a colleague of his who died horribly young earlier this year. It was a fun, relaxing day out and B had a great time playing with the other preschoolers there. We left about 4pm and 5 minutes into the journey home B fell asleep mid-sentence! He hardly ever naps nowadays and has never fallen asleep in the car at that time of day before, but he was so deeply asleep that I carried him upstairs to bed without him ever waking up. We decided to go with the flow and see what happened and he eventually woke about 7pm, had a bit of tea, a little bit of play and then went back to bed! He usually sleeps really well (usually 7pm til nearly 8am - yes, I know how lucky we are!), so fingers crossed that his topsy turvey day hasn't spoilt that. If I blog a bit of a grumpy post tomorrow you'll know why!

2 comments:

  1. Hi jo, I think nearly everyone has been enjoying this gorgeous weather, it was 24 here all weekend, we have a 2 BBQ this weekend , picnics and to the beach so it has been busy, we have to make the most of thhis weather while it's here, thanks again for a lovely day, had a great time
    Eve x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eve, I did tell you that my desk wasn't usually as tidy as it was when you arrived, didn't I?!
    Glad you had a good weekend. Still jealous that you live so close to the beach!
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails