Thursday 23 July 2009

All done!


The last big project that has been keeping me busy over the last couple of months is my waistcoat - yes, it's finally finished! Well, actually I say finally but it's really only taken me since the middle of April and two months for a finished knitted adult garment is pretty good for me, but the last couple of bits have seemed to drag on. I've decided that I don't mind sewing up any more now that I use crochet to do that wherever possible, but I really, really don't like having to pick up and knit over 100 stitches. So why, do you ask, have I cast on this project?! It needs 260 stitches picked up for the neckband alone! The yarn is lovely, though. I bought it from Knits in the City, the website I found when I was looking for a picture of the finished waistcoat to show you last month. Christine, who owns the shop, was really helpful and got me in the yarn in the colours I wanted for the vest top and also the crochet wrap on the cover of this book. I was hoping to make the wrap in time for my cousin's wedding in September, but there are so many other projects I'd like to do too, including a shorter version of this waistcoat for my Grandma's birthday in October (don't worry, she doesn't go anywhere near computers, let alone read my blog!).


One thing that I didn't like about the pattern is that I'm certain that there's an error about where to make the button holes - if you follow the instructions to the letter the holes are far too low. I'm going to sew them up and just have one button at the top, but in the meantime I'm using a pin that I made using my daisy motive to hold it closed and it works rather well!

By the way, Christine has offers on some of the Rowan and Debbie Bliss yarns at the moment, so if you're after yarn for a project to take on holiday with you get in quickly as I'm not sure how long the offer lasts for!

6 comments:

  1. that's fantastic, and I love the color. I just picked up crochet myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it! looks so good on you! I just never can finished knitted things...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. superb Jo !! but you appear to be without a head? good luck with the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow looking fab jo, bet your glad you dod't have make these to order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, you know exactly what my head looks like - we house shared for long enough! I have had my hair cut though, might send you a picture if you're good.

    Eve, Happy Birthday for yesterday! Yes, I think people would have to wait a while for me to make one of these for them! At least I've got until the end of October for my Grandma's

    Izabela - you just never have time to finish knitted things as your crochet is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh lovely - it's a really nice shape! Great colour too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails