Wednesday 8 September 2010

Our latest 'project'

It's time to let you into a little secret - or rather, a secret that has grown rather big. Some of you that I know "in real life" or chat to via email or I have taught recently already now, but now that everyone who needed to know first (including my boss at college who I finally told yesterday before term started!) knows, I can share it with the rest of you....



I'm five months pregnant!

And I am so excited - and little scared, but a little less so each day, as, you see, something else that I haven't mentioned here on my blog before is that I've had three miscarriages between having B and being pregnant this time, all three of them within a year of each other. The first was May last year, and I posted here that I'd had to have a stay in hospital but didn't really go into the details of why because this blog is supposed to be about nice things like beads and jewellery and so on. So why am I mentioning it now? Partly because you won't be able to understand why we're so excited but still so nervous otherwise, but also because I know just how many women are affected by miscarriages.

When I was pregnant in May 2009 I was very aware that out of the ten family and friends that I knew who had had their second child in the previous year, only one of them hadn't had a miscarriage between their first and second successful pregnancy. That statistic was very much in my mind when I had my first midwife appointment back then, and was definitely one of the reasons that we told family relatively early into the pregnancy - I knew that if the worst came to the worst, I would need their support - and I definitely needed (and am so grateful for) their support. They eventually found a reason for the miscarriages - "sticky" blood that was too thick for a young fetus. The solution has been to take a low-dose aspirin pill each day to thin my blood a little bit. I'm not saying that that would work for everyone, and it's only something I did after long chats with my doctor, but it's worked for me.

So, I promise not to turn the blog into nothing but maternity posts, but expect to see some baby related posts in the near future! The baby is, in theory, due on 15th January, but B was 12 days early, so we'll see!

And now I'm going to have to go and get a tissue as I am just so happy to be able to write this news!

15 comments:

  1. Oh Jo, thats fantastic news. Congratulations
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bazillion congratulations to you all! Happy news!

    Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jo, I've got tears in my eyes too! So happy for you.
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey gorgeous! what a cute pic! ;o)

    Congratulations lovely, understand completely your happiness at this news....looking forward to the little tyke's journey into the world!

    hugs

    hello gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :)

    Best Wishes,

    Cheryl W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! Big time congratulations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, oh, oh. Sooooooo exciting. Please do keep telling us how you get on via the blog as I am one of your virtual friends. Oh, oh, oh ....signs off with tears in her eyes. Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cutie glad the scan went well. love Hellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo, absolutely MASSIVE congratulations!! What fantastic news. I can only imagine how excited your wee boy must be - I still remember my mum telling me she was pregnant with my wee sister and being utterly thrilled. Best, best wishes to you and your family!

    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you - such lovely comments!
    Rebecca - B is excited. He likes talking to the baby through my tummy button and has tld us what names he likes - thankfully we like them!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations and many blessings to you and your child!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. CONGRATULATIONS!

    I'm a bit of a lurker around here and don't normally comment, but news this big deserves to be noted!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jo
    Congratulations to you!! That is really fantastic news! I suffered with a miscarriage before I had little D, it was just terrible and it was such a scary time when I fell pregnant again with D, luckily she turned out perfect! We are thinking about baby No 2 and also feel really nervous that it will happen again! Good Luck with it all and keep us all posted! Don't over do it with the work! Congrats, Heidi x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails