Friday 26 September 2008

Chocolate Mug Cake

Yes, you did read that correctly - Mug, not Mud!

T sent me an email that was doing the rounds at work with a recipe that sounded perfect for trying with B, so this afternoon we had a go! It was a treat for him after he was so good letting me finish a very last minute commission (more of that at the weekend). I thought that I would write out the ingredients etc in case you'd like to make your own!

So....you will need:

4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
3 Tablespoons chocolate drops (optional)
1 Mug

Add dry ingredients to the mug, and mix well. Add the egg, then the oil and the milk, mixing well to make sure that there aren't any pockets of flour left at the bottom, and try to make sure that not all of the mixture ends up on your child's face.


Add the chocolate drops - the trick here is to make sure that your child puts more in the mug than he does in his mouth!


Put the mug into the microwave and cook it - the recipe said 3 minutes in a 1000watt oven, but that was a bit too long in our 950watt oven, so you may neeed to experiment! Wait until the cake stops rising and sets in the mug. It had to be a cow mug - you'd understand if you knew our house - T used to collect cow things until all the family joined in. I lost count of the cows at 65!

Run a knife around the sides of the mug, and tip the still warm cake out of the mug on to a plate - you wouldn't believe how hard it was persuading B to let me take a photo before he started eating!!

And the verdict? Well, B loved it, but then it was chocolate! I prefer my cakes a bit lighter (maybe it was the oil?), so we'll just have to experiment and make it again!

Thank you Micki for sending T the recipe!

6 comments:

  1. Looks yum - perfect for little ones to help out with and not too messy. May have to give it a go - I know someone else who loves chocolate. Vx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, I am soooo going to try it! A cake in a mug, in the microwave? Sounds like heaven to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great idea, isn't it? Let me know ho you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got that email too but not had the nerve to try it yet - did you ever read "The Magic Porrige Pot" as a kid? I have visions of that happening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What that the one where more and more porridge kept coming to feed the hungry people? I'd forgotten that one! It did seem at first that the cake was going to keep rising and rising out of the mug, but it did calm down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is an old post but the link widget led me here....I'm going to have to try this one! Plus, we actually have that cow mug so I can recreate the very same :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails