Wednesday 10 February 2010

Party time!

The day of the Bead Soup Party has finally arrived!

For those of you who haven't picked up the hints from previous posts, I signed up to a Bead Soup Party swop organised by Lori at Pretty Things in January. Over 80 people signed up and swopped beads and clasps with their partners, and today is the day when we can finally show what we made!

A quick reminder - my partner is Lynne at Island Girl's Insights. This is what I sent her


and this is what she sent me - my favourite is still that beautiful big hollow bead!


And this is what I've made!


My first thought when I signed up for the party was that I'd make a really big piece (I suppose showing off what I could do!), but when Lynne's beads arrived I just couldn't do it. Everything I put the beads with took the focus off the beads, and I didn't like that, so in the end I focused on what my favourite beads reminded me off and went from there. The beautiful turquoise and etched ivory beads remind me so much of a hot summer beach (just what I need right now instead of this constant greyness!), so I decided to make something for me for once that I could wear on holiday.


I made a forged head pin and bail for the focal bead and strung it on a double length of brown leather. The ivory beads are tied on to the leather, as is the clasp that Lynne made me. The focal bead can be taken off the leather and put on a chain as well - I wanted to have a choice of how to wear it. The part that took the longest was actually forging the bail and head pin to get it tapered smoothly and shaped how I wanted it to be without risking damage to the bead while I was hammering. I hope that you like it Lynne!

Now, for oodles of eye-candy, go and visit as many of the other 84 blogs as you can, and then go back to see more tomorrow to feast your eyes on some truly amazing and beautiful designs. I'm keeping this post short as I'm off to do the same, and I'll be back to share some of my favourites tomorrow! Remember though that in the UK we are at least 5 hours ahead of the US party-goers, so they may not have had a chance to post what they've made yet, so remember to go back again later today!

The Bead Soup Party People are:

1. Lori, Pretty Things
2. Mallory, For the Love of Beads
3. Terri, Blooming Ideas...You Are Here
4. Cindy, Sweet Bead Studio
5. Lorelei, Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
6. Kerry, Kabs Creative Concepts
7. Erin, Treasures Found
8. Jeannette, Jeannette Blix Wire and Metal Jewelry
9. Adrienne, Adrienne Designs
10. Nan, Spirit Rattles
11. Laurel, Rue's Daftique
12. Nancy, Beading >From the Heart
13. Mary, MK's Creative Musings
14. Cassie, The Glass Beadle
15. Dot, Winchell Clayworks
16. Sharon, Sharon's Jewelry Garden
17. Lisa, Lo and Behold
18. Norma, Bead Dreams and Moonlit Fantaseas
19. Judith, Judith B.
20. Debbie, Prairie Emporium
21. Maria, Garden Path Beads
22. Susan, Kaplan Creations Jewelry and Glass Design
23. Melissa, Melissa Meman: Art, Love, Life
24. Marianna, Pretty Shiny Things
25. Lisa, Joolz by Lisa
26. Cristi, 2 If By Sea
27. Sandra, Marbella Jewelry Design
28. Maria, Greene Earth Originals
29. Barbara, Jewelry of Distinction
30. Leslie, Bei Mondi
31. Loretta, Designs by Loretta
32. Linda, Bella Bead Jewelry
33. Kathie, The Bead Cult
34. Patty, Plays With Fire
35. Nicki, Nicki's Reef
36. Anne Marie, Heart's Desire
37. Mary, Mary Harding Jewelry
38. Jayne, Mama's Got to Doodle
39. Emanda, Artemesia's Studio
40. Whitney, Whitney Lassini
41. Marcie, La Bella Joya
42. Suzann, Beadphoria
43. Jen, Jen Judd Rocks
44. Julie, Credit River Art Glass
45. Janiece, J Birds Garden
46. Kate, Organic Odysseys
47. Laurie, The Mermaid Tale
48. Michelle, My Crazy Crafty Adventure
49. Sue, Sue Beads
50. Janeen, Janeen 365
51. Nancy, The Rabbit Muse
52. Kristie, Artisan Clay
53. Regina, Regina's Writings
54. Tari, Pearl and Pebble
55. Lyn, Lyn Foley
56. Beth, Sunshine Daydreamz
57. Cathryn, Chile Cats
58. Emma, Fred Bean's Nook
59. Connie, Cetta Cheese Chatter
60. Juli, Jul's Beads
61. Julie, RockerJewlz
62. Libby, LibbyLeu and Glass Too
63. Melanie, Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
64. Katie, My Life and My Beads
65. Zuleykha, Zuleykha's Polymer Clay
66. Rekella, Me But a Little More in Depth
67. Ricki, What's New at Ricki Voges Design
68. Lisa, Lucid Moon Studio
69. Jo, Daisychain Jewellery
70. Lynette, Rock Hill Designs
71. Lynne, Island Girl's Insights
72. Chas, One Woman's Haven
73. Chas, One Woman's Haven
74. Ruthie, Rose Works Jewelry
75. Elizabeth, Turquoise Sky
76. Maire, Maire Dodd
77. Janet, Singing Woods
78. Eileen, Dorset Hill Beads
79. Julie, Miss Kitten's Jewels
80. Joann, Jo's Jewels
81. Patti, PJ Clark Designs
82. Mel, Kookie Designs
83. Erin, Every Heart Crafts
84. Dale, Flights of Fancy
85. Dee, Runako Designs

47 comments:

  1. Two words: Simply Beautiful! You did an awesome job forging the pendant...the bead would have been in pieces had I tried something like that! I love it that you can wear it on leather or chain as well. Very versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! I love the simplicity and the organic nature of the piece. It certainly is something that would be in my Etsy cart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that forged pin head bail. Simple and elegant. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your pendant and dang! I wish I could wirework....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep I love it! I probably could have done the bail without breaking the bead but it sure wouldn't have been that smooth... I can hear the surf pounding on one of my favorite outer bank beaches just looking at that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this stunning piece. The leather and focal glass bead compliment each other so well and the wire work is simple and breathtaking... such a special piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the bail looks absolutely fantastic. Great, great work there! I love how you created it, i'm sure it will grab the attention it deserves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful design and the beads are stunning, fab, fab and fab again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the beautiful simplicity of it :) And that headpin! I have no idea how you pulled that off :P No way I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really neat bail idea! Pretty colored bead, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - I love what you did...and, seeing the focal that you got to work with, I completely understand why you wouldn't want to do anything that will overwhelm the bead and cause it to get lost in the mix. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the unique 'bail' you created for that bead. Great necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job! I love the forged headpin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it its simple and definitely puts the focus on the beads! very nice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love what you did..."less is sometimes more" and this necklace works well in that regard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a sucker for hollows, too!


    Thanks for being a part of the party -- we'll do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes, the simplest of work are best. I really, really like how you kept this simple. It's got a touch of quiet elegance that's perfect for this necklace. Great job and perfect for showing off your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jo, that design is a delight--you did a terrific job with your bead soup components.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes simple is best! You really made the lampworked bead shine in this beautiful necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful design and lovely colors! I really like how you show off the focal bead with the forged headpin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simply gorgeous! Makes me want to go on holiday, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I definitely see you wearing this on a tropical jaunt! I love that hollow bead and the wire work you did is outstanding. I don't know how you made it so even...when I do that it looks so much more "rustic"... and I love that you have versatility to wear it how you wish! Thanks for sharing this heaping serving of great soup! Be sure to stop by and taste some of mine. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful ingredients sent and a wonderful creation made! You are sure to enjoy wearing it! Simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I've just come back from teaching my evening class to find all your comments! Thank you so much for the compliments - Lynne, I hope you're reading all the compliments about your beads!
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Isn't it great how sometimes, you just have to listen to what the beads are saying? Beautiful!

    Hasn't this been fun?

    Emanda
    www.ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simple, yet classy! Very nice job!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I love this! I would wear yours, too! It's just my style, I'd wear it everyday. Love the hand-forged bail and the use of the leather!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You made a wonderful call, Jo... this beautiful but simple piece perfectly highlights Lynne's focal bead. I love it. Well done. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it! I love the simplicity, the focus on the center bead and that you made it for YOU!!...something I really need to work on. You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Simple...summer...style...You could dress this necklace up or down and wear it all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brilliant!

    Hope you are enjoying the Party!
    Kate ~
    Organic Odysseys #46 Bead Souper

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow that is really quite Unique!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a huge selection of talented artisans in this soup, but so far this is my favorite. Just love the simple design, the focal bead is fabulous and the colors are just so perfect.... yummy :0)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love what you did with the pendant! It looks so simple, but I know it's not. It's beautiful. It was a great choice to focus on the bead and let the necklace fade away.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just wondered by to read everything... so yes I've read all the comments! It's your perfect bail that makes the piece though! Your leaves are getting a lot of compliments on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I totally love when glass beads in a piece of jewelry hold court, and you really achieved that. I have to know how you made that bail - you hammered the end AFTER it was in the bead??? I can't imagine how else you would have done it . . .That's amazing. I want to hire you to do that when I make gorgeous lampwork beads, too. ! Goinng to follow your blog. Gorgeous things.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This made me think of wet hair, sandy feet and warm sunshine. Your bail is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  38. This made me think of wet hair, sandy feet and warm sunshine. Your bail is fabulous. Great necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Simply gorgeous! You allowed the hollow bead to speak volumes on its own, and the leather and cream beads add the perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you all for your lovely comments!
    Yes, Lisa, I hammered the silver with the bead on it. The bead was hanging off the edge of the bench block I hammer on, and I was very very careful!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Simple, yet beautiful. Simple, yet masterfully created. Simple, yet unique. Simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful! Love Lynne's beads, and you've really honored them in this piece. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hello Jo
    Absolutely beautiful piece... I love that it is so different and that you used leather. I haven't worked with leather in a while and never know what to do with it...and you combined it with some of my favorites, lampwork and wire! I would wear this one ALL the time!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails