Sunday 18 November 2012

The White Rose and the Red Rose

(c) The Hunterian, University of Glasgow 2012.

Back in October I shared this beautiful work of art with you - the inspiration Rebecca Anderson choose as the inspiration for the second Brit Pack Beaders challenge. I fell in love with it as soon as I opened up the email from Rebecca. It's "The White Rose and the Red Rose" by Margaret MacDonald MacIntosh, and you can read more about her work in my post from October here. Well, today I can finally share with you the pieces I made with the ingredients we pooled together based on the painting!

First of all though, a quick reminder of what I was sent..... a clasp by Rebecca, lovely silk ribbones and cotton cords from Lesley, beads from Claire, hammered links and poppy charms from me and a couple of gorgeous focals from Teresa. I had a few ideas floating around as soon as I saw the focals, and for probably the first time ever in a blog challenge the ideas hardly changed as I made the jewellery.


I assumed that the face focal would be the hardest for me to work with as it's so different from my usual style, but in the end this oxidised copper bracelet was the first thing I made. I like the mix of subtle tones and textures and materials - mixing my materials more is something that I've definitely picked up from Rebecca over the last couple of years!


My favourite, though, is the necklace I made. It's got a very romantic feel and has far more of a vintage style than most of the pieces of jewellery I have made in recent years. The combination of silk, the motive on Teresa's beautiful focal pendant, the frosted glass beads and the oxidised silver give it an almost Victorian feel in my mind. The silk makes it very comfortable to wear. The central drop is quite long, and I can imagine it being worm with a blouse or over a jumper (sweater to my American friends!)


And last but not least, a pair of simple but elegant earrings with beautiful pearls from Claire. I think I'm going to be making some more of these for my next Christmas fair!


I'm really looking forward to seeing what the others have made! We've all scheduled our posts to be published at the same time so that we don't see each others work before we show our own off. Rebecca was down last week for a couple of days of silversmithing fun and I hid my designs so that they would be a surprise! Fancy coming to have a look at their creations with me?

Lesley Watt - Thea Jewellery - www.thegossipinggoddess.blogspot.co.uk
Rebecca Anderson - Songbeads - www.songbeads.blogspot.co.uk
Claire Braunbarth - Smitten Beads - www.smittenbeads.blogspot.co.uk
Teresa Hulley - Bo Hulley Beads - Bo's Facebook page

I've actually been very organised for once, and all these pieces are already listed in my Daisychain Jewellery etsy shop!

Oh, and come back on Tuesday and I'll show you how I made the bail for the pendant!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I will be back to see how you made the bail! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Jo, I especially like the necklace and you are right about "great minds", the earrings are lovely. I too will look forward to seing the bail making.
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pieces Jo - especially like the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely.WHat a beautiful necklace and earrings set. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lush, flowing pieces ... each of them. Really lovely work. I do really like how you did the necklace and how it brings out hints of purple - so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the necklace, the art deco focal is just gorgeous teamed with that lovely burgundy ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Came here from Lesley's blog which I follow. Been waiting impatiently to see what you all made. I do like the bracelet and earrings but that necklace is a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really gorgeous Jo, I especially love how you used your links in your necklace, not just in earrings. And the bail is wonderful - subtle, but very effective. It's that sort of detail that makes all the difference! Of course, the earrings are the highlight ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails