Monday 28 November 2011

Challenge Time!

I'm currently taking part in three challenges, and they are all due this week so be prepared to see quite a few new designs! As well as the Color Challenge organised by Erin Prais-Hintz and my Oak Leaf Challenge (both due on Wednesday!) I've was lucky enough to be picked as one of four people taking part in Sue's glass headpin challenge - and today is the day we reveal our designs!


These are the headpins that Sue sent me - a beautiful shade of leaf green embossed with a flower pattern on steel pins. I've often admired glass headpins but I've never worked with any before, and I was determined that I was not going to go the more obvious route and make a pair of earrings with them. However, a friend was with me when I opened Sue's parcel and immediately said what a great pair of earrings they would make - so that was that!


And this is the pair that I made. I used the lovely long steel pins to create long oval shapes that I then hammered both to strengthen the shape and to give it a more finished look. I then added silver ovals inside the steel and hung the earrings from long silver earwires. I was going to oxidise the earrings but decided that the brightness of the silver was a lovely contrast to the steel and gave them a brushed finish instead. You can find them on the website here!

I took photos as I made the earrings, so do come back tomorrow for a tutorial on how to make them! And meanwhile please do go and have a look at what everyone else made:

Sue - SueBeads
Kay Thomerson - KayzKreationz
Kristi Bowman - Kristi Bowman Designs
Courtney Breul - Beads by Breul
Krisi Jaro - Curiosities by K

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those are really fantastic Jo! I love how you made the oval shapes, really really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue is right, fantastic statement earrings!! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great Jo. I love how you incorporated the steel pin from the headpin into the design. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful earrings! What a clever design. I love the different finishes of the two metals.

    Have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with your earrings! So simple and so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love how you made the oval with the headpin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo, the earrings are really pretty I like how you used every bit of the headpins in your design. I also like the contrast in the metals, great job!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY! I just love these! I would wear these in a heartbeat. Such a clever design. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails