Tuesday 13 January 2009

Keeping warm!

Well, I'd love to be able to show you lots of photos of jewellery that I've made this week, but as I've been working on my tax return accounts I hope that you'll understand that you'll have to wait until tomorrow! The accounts didn't take as long as I thought they would, but I'd still much rather have been doing something else. It is very satisfying to have finished them though!

I did realise as I was browsing through the comments on recent posts that I haven't yet answered Magriet's question about my shed and whether or not it's insulated - so I thought I'd do that now before I forget again!


My workshop is a 8'x6' shed that T has customised for me. He's put in electricity and lighting, laid carpet (I would have preferred something I could have swept, but we had the carpet left over from doing B's room) and, most importantly, insulated it. You can see some of the insulation in the photo above. He first of all lined the walls with rubble sacks (thick plastic bags designed for use in the garden) so that the walls would have a damp-proof membrane. On top of that he put loft insulation, and that was hidden behind plasterboard. None of the materials that he used were particularly expensive, but they are certainly doing their job! My shed may have been cold enough to allow my pickle to freeze over night last week, but it warms up very quickly once the heater is on and holds it's heat very well. In fact, even last week once the shed had warmed up at the start of my work session I turned the heater off and the heat from my blow torch was enough to 'top up' the temperature. The photo below was taken on the day I moved into the shed last June - I wish I could tell you that it's still as tidy now as it was then!!


The plan tomorrow is to spend as much time as I can in my lovely, lovely shed working on a couple of commissions and on a new idea for my daisy range of jewellery - and to take some photos!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this Jo! Have bookmarked it for future reference and will insulate my shed in spring. Need to wait for the wood to dry out properly. Then I'll take everything out and start over. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help! I picked Nicky's (sparkly treasures) and Laura Sparlings brains before we started as they both had sheds too. Shed are no longer a male domain!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails