Friday 24 February 2012

Peacock Bracelet - ABS challenge


The inspiration for the Art Bead Scene blog challenge this month is a wonderfully painted manuscript page full of beautiful birds. The colours are so rich, despite the page being over 400 years old. At the centre of the page is a peacock, and as soon as I saw it I knew that I had the perfect bead! It's a bead by Mindy Macgregor (of course!), one of a set that I bought from her a few years ago and that had been sitting in a dish on my desk for ages waiting for the perfect project - and here it is!



The clasp is the silver feather clasp I made on Wednesday, and I've used dainty faceted amazonite, amethyst, Swarovski crystals and lovely soft purple lampwork spacer beads to pick out some of the colours in the bead and the peacock's tail. I did try some tiny faceted labradorite beads in place of the amethyst at first - it seemed appropriate considering the original name for labradorite was peacock stone - but they looked a bit washed out. The glossy purple brightens up the bracelet instead. Unusually for me, I've strung the beads in the bracelet rather than link them with wirework, and I've formed the beadalon into loops to stop the strands of beads from being too narrow. The clasp hooks onto one of two rings - I put two at the end of the bracelet so that the length can be adjusted if need be. The silver has been given an antiqued patina using liver of sulphur both to highlight the texture on the clasp and it seemed more appropriate considering the age of the manuscript.


I am so pleased with my feather clasps! I'm definitely going to be making more, but each one will be different as no two feathers are ever the same. In fact, the two I made on Wednesday still turned out differently despite being made from the same feather. I've added the copper feather clasp to my etsy shop if you fancy using it in your own bird inspired jewellery, and the peacock bracelet is on my website here.

15 comments:

  1. The feather clasp is a brilliant touch! I'm drooling over the faceted amazonite and your focal bead. With its graceful loops, I just know your bracelet would feel wonderful against my wrist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love the mix of druzies and seed beads you have used in your challenge necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do fancy that feather clasp!! This bracelet is absolutely stunning, one of my favourite things that you have made. I love the colour you are introducing to your work these days. Must be the coming of spring! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens, you were quick! Thanks Rebecca, the clasp will be posted tomorrow morning!

      Delete
  4. Such a fantastic design and your clasp finishes it off beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that clasp took my breath a way! Gorgeous. Beautiful bracelet design too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bracelet...the bead is perfect with the mix of stones you chose and I adore the clasp.i hope there will be more to come.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo,
    Your bracelet is beautiful I love the feather clasp and the glass bead.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo, your bracelet is really extraordinary - it just jumped off the page on the ABS Flickr pool! I agree with the above comments- the mix of stones and colors are so beautiful, but it is your clasp that really makes it! And it's no surprised that your feather clasp is already sold!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the feather clasp and the beautiful colors of the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I MUST have one of your feather clasps! Your bracelet is brilliant, I love it. What a gorgeous piece! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yummy! The feather clasp is deliciously beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The peacock bead is beautiful and your feather clasp is the perfect compliment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails